Thursday, May 16, 2013

SoyRizo Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans

Soy Chorizo - I could go on and on about how much I love this stuff. It elevates simple soups, chilies, stews, hashes, tacos, eggs... pretty much everything, to something amazing. Plus the guilt factor is reduced since its vegan and gluten free. My family is neither vegan or gluten free, but I guess it's kind of a bonus when I throw something together that happens to be and I can feed a crowd without worrying about leaving any one out. 

This soup comes together super fast, and freezes well - up to 3 months in an airtight container. Perfect for when my ~2 year old is running around the house yelling 'shoop shoop shoop!' and will not wait for me to make a soup from scratch (sort of), and I refuse to keep canned soups in the house... unless it's for the one meal I use them for. But I'll save that one for another post. 


INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, small dice
2 celery stalks, small dice
2 peeled carrots, small dice
2 cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 12 oz package Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo
1 quart low sodium chicken stock
1 quart water
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
squeeze of lime juice (optional)




Heat oil in a dutch oven or large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes till vegetables are softened. 

Remove soy chorizo from casing and add it to the pot. Increase heat to medium high and stir well, breaking up the sausage to a fine crumble. Cook for 5 minutes. Add cumin, smoked paprika and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the stock and water, add the sweet potato and black beans. When the soup starts to simmer, cover and dial heat back to low and let it go (stirring occasionally) for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart. 

Serve with a wedge of lime and your favorite tortilla chips or crusty bread.


1 comment:

  1. I love black beans... this recipe looks like a winner!

    thanks for sharing - lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete